- PREP TIME: 40 MINS
- COOK TIME: 35 MINS
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MINS
- ½ cup uncooked long grain white rice, rinsed and drained (set aside)*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 ribs celery, peeled and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1½ tablespoons Better Than Bouillon® Organic Vegetable Base
- 2 (5.5-ounce) cans spicy tomato juice
- 1 (28-ounce) can petite tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen cut okra, rinsed and drained
- 1½ cups frozen whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon mesquite liquid smoke
- ½ teaspoon ground thyme
- 1¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons gumbo filé powder
- The Original “Louisiana” Brand Hot Sauce™
- In a large soup pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion and celery; cook and stir until tender. Add green pepper and stir to combine.
- Add water and whisk in Vegetable Base until base is dissolved.
- Add tomato juice, tomatoes, beans, okra, corn, liquid smoke, thyme, salt, Cajun seasoning, bay leaves and rice. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer uncovered until done, about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add filé powder and stir to combine. Cook until done, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add hot sauce; season to taste with salt and pepper; stir to combine.
*Traditionally, gumbo is served over rice. If desired, prepare four cups cooked white rice and serve ¼ cup rice with each bowl of gumbo. Omit adding the rice in step 4 of the directions if serving gumbo over rice.