splash. dash. rub. eat.repeat!
Cajun Fried Chicken
- PREP TIME: 12 HRS
- COOK TIME: 20 MINS
- TOTAL TIME: 12 HRS 20 MINS
- 1 (4 - 5 pound) fryer chicken, cut into eight pieces
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups The Original “Louisiana” Brand Hot Sauce™, divided
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 package Shore Lunch® Classic Fried Chicken Breading Mix
- 4 cups fryer oil
- Add the buttermilk, 1 cup Hot Sauce, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika to a large mixing bowl. Add the chicken pieces, cover and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- Add the oil to a large pot or skillet and heat to 350°F.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Add the Breading Mix to a large plastic bag. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk mixture, shaking off the excess, and add the chicken to the Breading Mix, toss to coat.
- Remove the chicken from the bag, shake off the excess, and carefully add to the oil. Cook the chicken in batches for 15 - 18 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F when checked with an instant-read thermometer. Make sure to turn the chicken halfway through the cooking time if not completely submerged in oil.
- Carefully remove the chicken from the oil and brush with the remaining ½-cup Hot Sauce.
- Serve immediately.